Hello Level Walkers,
The following notes are from the 8 February Volunteer meeting.
Thanks for your support! – Steve
On February 8, we held our 1st quarterly volunteer call. Hopefully some of you were able to make it, but for those who could not attend, here are some updates that Christiana provided. I have also attached the organizational chart for the division of Interpretation, Education, and Volunteers, since we have some new staff members. If you have questions about park operations, please contact me.
- The park recently kicked off the process of creating a Development Concept Plan (DCP) for the Great Falls area. This will be a lengthy process and there will be a time in the future for community input. We will update volunteers as the process continues.
- The park is finalizing a Detail to fill the Great Falls Interpretive Supervisor (the position previously held by Pete Peterson who has retired). We anticipate this 120-day detail will start this spring and be here through the summer. We are working with HR to advertise this position in order to find a long-term new supervisor.
- Education Interns – we have 2-3 interns who will come on in late February/early March to support the park’s K-12 school program.
- Interpretation Interns – we are currently hiring five 6-month interns and three year-long interns to support interpretive programs. Interns will work out of Great Falls, Williamsport, and Cumberland and help with things like boat programs, Visitor Center operations, and public programs.
- Georgetown’s outdoor visitor services have paused until spring and the VC is still under construction.
- Great Falls VC is open 5 days a week.
- Williamsport and Cumberland VCs are closed until March 4th. They will reopen on Saturdays and Sundays. We are increasing staffing with interns and volunteers and will expand hours as staffing capacity increases.
- The Brunswick Heritage Museum (the park VC is housed inside the museum) is closed until March 18th.
- The park continues working with local stakeholders to stand up visitor center operations in Hancock.
- Upcoming interpretive programming includes the FY23 season for the boats in Williamsport, Great Falls, and Georgetown (operated through our partner Georgetown Heritage), angler programs throughout the park, bike safety-focused programs, lock demonstrations, Meet the Mules programs, the Trails and Rails program, and many more! Keep an eye on the park calendar for the latest schedule.
- For maintenance project updates, keep an eye on the Park Project page or the park’s social media accounts. You can follow the park on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/chesapeakeandohiocanal
Emily Durán Hewitt