Hello Level Walkers,
Here is the latest park update.
Park staff continue to work hard to bring operations back online. Status as follows:
- The 5 drive-to campgrounds are now fully open. Campsites must be reserved through http://www.recreation.gov
- Hiker-biker campsites from Horsepen Branch to Evitts Creek are open.
- Swains Lock campsites remain closed.
- Carderock Pavilion is closed and not available for reservations at this time.
- The digital pass for Great Falls is now available. A 7 day or annual pass for Great Falls can be purchased by clicking HERE.
- Visit the park website for complete details on current park conditions.
These days canawlers and railroad enthusiasts get along pretty well. The park even participates in the Trails & Rails program on Amtrak when there isn’t a pandemic. As we all know, however, the canal and the railroad were not always friends. This week Claire has put together the attached article that explores the transportation legacy of the C&O Canal and B&O Railroad. Exploring Transportation Legacy Also, if you have any young railroad enthusiasts in your circle, there is a new Railroad Explorer Junior Ranger booklet that they may enjoy.
Emily H. Hewitt
Image – Doe Gully Western Maryland Railway Bridge – Level 53