Hello Level Walkers!
The following message is to C&O Canal NHP volunteers from Kevin Brandt, the Superintendent of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park. Thanks for all you do!
Note that Tom Dulz is also one of your fellow level walkers. If you see him, congratulate him for his service as the Western District Volunteer of the Year!
It was great to see and talk with many of you at the three Volunteer Appreciation Dinners.
Our final volunteer numbers have been tallied for the fiscal year: in FY18 we had 3,779 volunteers who gave 58,251 hours of service, a contribution worth over $1.4 million. Thank you for your enduring service!
What’s more outstanding than the amount of time our volunteers contribute is the quality of their work. This exceptional work is recognized at both the park and regional levels through our volunteers of the year and the George and Helen Hartzog Awards. This year, I have the honor of recognizing the following volunteers:
C&O Canal Volunteers of the Year
- Parkwide Volunteer of the Year: Martha Becton, Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
- East District: Kay Titus, Colonial Dames of America
- Middle District: Charles Morton, Williamsport VC and Special Events
- West District: Tom Dulz, Bike Patrol and Trails & Rails
George and Helen Hartzog Awards for Outstanding Volunteer Service
- National Capital Region Outstanding Volunteer Program: C&O Canal NHP
- National Capital Region Outstanding Volunteer Service, Individual Award: Robert Mertz, C&O Canal Trust
- National Capital Region Outstanding Volunteer Service, Group Award: C&O Canal Bike Loaner Program at Williamsport and Great Falls
Congratulations to all of you for making this such a successful program!
One of the most frequent questions I heard at the Volunteer Dinners was about the Volunteer Program Assessment. This spring, I requested that the National Capital Regional Office review our Volunteer Program parkwide. We asked them to look at what is working well and what we can do to improve the program. Most importantly we want to make sure all of our volunteers receive the support and oversight they need to do their job effectively and safely. The Assessment Team has completed a draft, which is being reviewed by the Acting Regional Director and her staff. The Regional Office has not shared the report with us, nor have they given us a timeline for completion. However, they have assured me that the report will be completed in the near future. Thank you for your patience in this matter. We will make sure to share the report widely when it is made available.
Above – Lock 75, Level 66, September 29, 2018